background

Friday, December 10, 2010

Back to Baking...

*OK, a little side note/confession... I actually wrote this post on Wednesday AM to post that night. And I promptly forgot. Wow... I'm off to a great start as a blogger! I blame the cold medicine.

I guess the winter season has officially begun since I have had my first cold of the season. It's been a long few days of looking at nothing other than my couch. I think I've left the house once since last Friday night and that was just for a grocery run. But the sun is finally shining and I think I'm on the mend. Or at least I'm going to make myself believe that I'm on the mend. And with what little energy I have I'm going to spend it on baking. Yes, there's laundry that should be done, but where's the fun in that?

So on tap for today are Peanut Butter Dough Balls, which is a recipe I found here on What Megan's Making.  Now, the recipe calls for cake flour and I KNOW that there is cake flour in this house, but I could not for the life of me find out where it is stashed. SO it's Joy the Baker to the rescue! She has a handy little tip on how to make your own cake flour. She's now my very own super hero.

Full disclosure, mine look nothing like the one's Megan made. However, they taste fantastic! They are a little crisp on the outside, but soft and (just like their name!) doughy on the inside. Not sure why they flattened out. Maybe it's because I used reduced fat peanut butter? Probably, but it's all I had on hand and I wasn't about to go to the store. On her blog she recommends adding milk or more pb if the dough is dry. Well, I had to had quite a bit of milk. I didn't measure so if your dough ends up crumbly, just add some milk until it's a more dough-like consistency.

Here's the recipe:

Peanut Butter Dough Balls
 
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cake flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips

Beat butter, peanut butter, sugars and vanilla until fully incorporated. In a separate bowl, combine baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flours. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar; mix until a dough forms (*this is where I had to add in some milk... if your dough is too dry and crumbly add milk until it's more of a dough consistency). Stir in chocolate chips; chill dough for 30 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 350. Roll dough into balls (I used the small scoop from Pampered Chef); place on cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. They'll still be soft and won't flatten out (well, mine did, but technically they're not supposed to). Let them rest for a minute before transferring them to a cooling rack.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked these! Just as a note, I'm wondering if the extra milk was what made these flatter? The dough is supposed to be somewhat crumbly. I thought mine was too crumbly when I made them as well so I added some extra peanut butter until I could form it into balls. As long as they tasted good, it doesn't matter though right? :) They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I've been eating them frozen! yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Megan... I will try that next time. Before the milk the dough was too crumbly to even make into ball form. And I will try them frozen... I was thinking they would be good cold. Kind of like the cinnamon roll cookies from Picky Palate.. have you tried those? Oh my. They are so good I can't have them in the house or I will eat all of them :)

    ReplyDelete